In honor of Dr. Adrian Rogers, fifth year in Heaven!


 I thank my God  in all my remembrance of you, 4always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, 5because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now. 6And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you  will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. (Philippians 1:3-6). ESV

The great Scottish preacher, Peter Marshall, once said:

“It’s not the duration of a life that counts but the donation.”

How thankful Christians should be for the duration and donation of the life of Adrian Rogers.  Dr. Rogers pastored the historic Bellevue Baptist Church in Memphis, Tennessee, from 1972 until his retirement in 2005. He left for heaven in November of the same year.  He was a three time president of the Southern Baptist Convention, a preacher without peer and a statesman in the first order. 

I had the opportunity to meet him on five different occasions, each time he looked intently into my eyes, and expressed genuine and heartfelt interest in my own ministry journey.  I was blessed to be one of 120 pastors to spend three days with him in Memphis, in April of 2005...learning, listening and loving every minute!  He was so very kind, I never felt rushed in his presence, it was as if I was the most important person in the world to him.

There has never been anyone who has impacted my Christian life more than He has.  When I think of Dr. Rogers, I am reminded of this truth:

"People will forget what you say, but they will never forget the way you made them feel."

I  am forever thankful for the way Dr. Rogers made me feel!  Here are just a few things I have learned from this truly wonderful man:

Adrian Rogers on Studying God's Word:

Receive the Word of God with reflective spirit –

• Is there a promise to claim?

• Is there a lesson to learn?

• Is there a blessing to enjoy?

• Is there a command to obey?

• Is there a sin to avoid?

• Is there a new thought to carry with me?

How to understand a Bible passage

• Read it through.

• Think it clear.

• Write it down.

• Pray it in.

• Live it out.

• Pass it on.

Adrian Rogers on an  exercise He called PACE.

• The “P” stands for praise.

Wake up and praise the Lord each morning.  Lift your heart and praise Him for who He is and what He has done.

• The “A” stands for abide.

Tell Him that you are abiding in Him as you go through your day.

The “C” stands for control.

Say to the Lord, “I’m Yours to control today.  I present myself to You.”  Allow Him to command your life.

• The “E” stands for expectation.

Expect Christ to live in you and expect Him to work through you.

The Lord lived through Adrian Rogers, and that's why I loved him so much....in him I saw Jesus!

Listen to Dr. Rogers, in this clip and you will know why he was decidedly a "Man of God."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home!

In Honor of Peter Marshall.

How are things at home?