The Breath behind the Flag!

The United States flag does not fly because the wind moves past it. The United States flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it. American soldiers don't fight because they hate what's in front of them...they fight because they love what's behind them.


Wow! What an incredible and moving collection of words! I am writing this on a rainy Fourth of July afternoon in Wyoming.  I am thinking about the men and women who have served our country.  I never had the opportunity to serve in the military. I came very close, as a senior in high school, I had signed up to join the Air Force.  

Before heading up to Fitzsimons hospital in Denver for a full physical my recruiter decided to weigh me.


This was way before I was ever introduced to Baptist Potlucks! I weighed 191lbs! Oh how I would like to weigh that now….but I digest…I mean digress:) I was six pounds overweight!  The recruiter told me to drop the pounds and come back…I lost the weight in a weekend, in the meantime my best friend in High School, talked me in to going to College. The recruiter did not mind a bit (Our nation was at peace then) and my entire life changed because of 6 lbs!


I went to College and Seminary and ultimately into the ministry. I have always loved and appreciated our military. They are my heroes.  I well remember having the exciting opportunity on “Clergy Appreciation day” at Forbes Air force Base, in Topeka, Kansas flying on a C130 plane as it refueled jets somewhere over the Midwest that was incredible! 

The precision, the control…was in a word….amazing!


From time to time, I have had the honor of having service men and women in the Churches I have served. I have observed their dignity, their class; they have a way about them…that is hard to put into words. 

I am now writing through teary eyes, when I think of the many who will not eat a hot dog, or hamburger or watch fireworks burst into a Wyoming sky tonight…because somewhere…they willingly marched into harm’s way…and eternity.


Thank you is inadequate, and if I ever wanted to be more descriptive in my gratitude it is now. 


The quote that inspired me to write today…sums up my feelings, read it slowly, ponder the implications...


The United States flag does not fly because the wind moves past it. The United States flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it. American soldiers don't fight because they hate what's in front of them...they fight because they love what's behind them.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Honor of Peter Marshall.

Back to the Future!

Home!