The day my Dad taught me how to be a Father!


It’s a welcomed memory every time it surfaces in my conscious mind. The years melt away and I am a teenager again. Fall is in the air, and I am suited up playing football. I am actually in the game, not standing on the sidelines as all to frequently was my athletic experience :)


I want you to know, this is not a wishful thought that has a few aspects of reality, no what I am about to tell you really did happen and the comfort that the incident has provided through out my life when remembered , always brings a smile to my face.


The year 1974 or 75 , the place a football stadium in Hendersonville North Carolina. Our middle school the “Rugby Raiders” were playing the Hendersonville middle school. Not sure if we were winning or if we won at all, what's more is that the outcome, is so insignificant, for what happened that day!


Our family had relocated to North Carolina from Colorado, my mom (Always so giving of herself) was making all of $2.00 and hour with a 39 cent raise after a few months working as a manager in the credit department at J.C. Penny's.  My Dad unable to find work was contributing his $500.00 a month railroad retirement check. To say that we were struggling would be a profound understatement!


On a day, a rainy day in western North Carolina, while playing in that game…I looked up from the stadium, to see a familiar figure, standing in the rain watching his son play football, through a chain link fence!  

The admission to attend that game was $2.00 dollars, and represented an hour of work for my Mom, and so my Dad stood and watched me play in the rain. Now nearly forty years later, there are tears in my eyes, (as I write this) tears of deep gratitude for a Dad, who was there! 

That day, my Dad taught me how to be a Father!

 
Dad, Mom and Me around 1980


Do you have such memories that come to you from time to time? Perhaps your memories are not wrapped in love or Joy or gratitude!  If so, today I am here to remind you of the “Father you have always wanted”
“And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.“And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. Pray then like this: “Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name.  (Matthew 6: 5-9). ESV
The Father you have always wanted... 

Wants to Hear from you

Knows Your Heart

Knows What you Need

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home!

In Honor of Peter Marshall.

How are things at home?