Five Questions to answer for your kids before you die!



When Michael McQueen was 22 years old, his father suffered an unexpected heart attack and died. In the throes of his grief, Michael realized: "There's so much I don't know about my father because he never told me -- and I never thought to ask. Now it's too late."

Michael went on to develop a website, Histography, where he provides tools to help people capture their parents' stories and wisdom to pass along to the next generation.

Through his work, Michael identified five questions that most grown up kids regret not asking their parents back when they could.

1. What is your greatest regret?
2. What were your hopes and dreams as a child? 
3. What would you like to see change in the world over the next 10 years?
4. What was the most rebellious thing you did as a young person?
5. What can you remember about your first kiss? 

Not wanting my sons to wonder about my thoughts and in honor of my dad, and his death at the age of 50 when I was 19, here are my responses to the five questions, written today June 8th, 2015

What is your greatest regret?  I have been so blessed by the Lord to have achieved many goals in my life. Early on in my academic journey I determined to finish College, and I did, going on to earn a Master’s degree by the age of 26. God put a burning desire in my heart, to earn a Doctorate, which I accomplished in 2005. I wish I would have applied myself more in High School, but it worked out. I love music and reached the goal of recording my own CD. I love Piano, I wish I would have disciplined myself to learn to read notes. I find great joy in playing by ear. I love bringing Gods Word to His people week by week, it has been a great honor to be a Pastor. Teaching students from all over the world for Liberty University, has been so fulfilling!

I am so thankful to have found the love of my life Laura, (Your Mom) at a young age. She was 21 and I was 20 when we got married. I adore her!

I have loved being your Dad, and will always cherish the memories of watching your games, wrestling in the living room and going out to eat! Remember when we would write what we wanted to do and put them in a cookie jar, and we all had to do it?

The single greatest decision of my life was giving my life to the Lord Jesus Christ as a teenager in North Carolina. It is because of Him, that I am what I am, and other than spending more time with Him and in His Word, I can honestly say I don't have any real regrets!

What were your hopes and dreams as a child?  I was sure I would be a Professional Football Player! I even bet a friend in 7th grade $5.00 that I would! So if a guy named Kenneth Proctor ever comes around, I owe him! I thought about being a Doctor, a lawyer and a Real Estate salesman. Pastoring is what I was called to do, and I love it, and am honored to have the opportunity! Many of my dreams have become reality; I believed because of encouraging parents, that anything was possible if you worked hard and have faith!

What would you like to see change in the world over the next 10 years? The end of ISIS and all their brutality! People taking an honest look at the Christian Faith, and not dismissing the reality of a Personal God who loves the world so much, he chose to rescue everyone who repents (Turns away from Sin) and asks Him into their Lives. My greatest desire is that each of you find what I have found...the Lord is absolutely indispensable, for living a truly fulfilled life! I want to see you in heaven, I will be waiting!

What was the most rebellious thing you did as a young person? Sneaking into the teachers’ lounge in middle school and drinking some of their Mr. Pibbs! On another occasion I did not like a grade I received on a math exam and changed it to a better one when the teacher was distracted! I cheated a lot in High School, never once in College or Post Graduate work!

What can you remember about your first kiss?  I don’t remember my first kiss, but I do remember the first time I kissed your mom, it was magical, I felt warm from head toe, and I still do, every time I kiss her, which is as frequent as possible!

Here is a song from when I was in High School that reminds me of how fast times goes, and to make the most of your life! 

Remember Brian, Ben, and Ty....I love you!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Honor of Peter Marshall.

Back to the Future!

Home!