My Once in a Lifetime




An excellent wife who can find?
    She is far more precious than jewels. Proverbs 31:10

It’s not our anniversary today, that is still a month away. For some reason I feel a need, deep within to celebrate the most amazing woman in my life, my beautiful wife Laura.

The first time my eyes met hers she was angry! And so was I! Her brother Dale was throwing crab apples at my brothers’ legs. I had walked down three doors, to let him have it!

It was 1976 and I suppose in the absence of Play Station, “Crab Appling” a 8 year olds legs was the game of the moment!

She told me “Leave my brother alone” I told her “tell your brother to quit throwing crap apples at my brother’s legs!” She did, and I thought to myself that blue eyed angry 16 year old blonde, sure is good looking!

We became friends, and this is the part where if she was writing this, she would insert, I often sought her advice on how to get girls to like me!

Little did we know how God would take that friendship in directions and dimensions that would be life altering!

The High School years sped by, we would see each other often in the hallways of Wasson High School, where if she was writing this, she would say, I was always looking over her shoulder for another girl to talk to:)

Graduation came, off to College, I would write her from time to time, but we were just friends. 

That changed abruptly, sitting on the lawn outside her house, I kissed her. It was spontaneous, yet there was something special about that, that I remember to this very moment. We struggled with the friend aspect, and this new and possible different relationship left us both confused.  

In 1980 while in Texas for College my Dad died. Laura was still living in Colorado Springs. When I got off the plane she was waiting. Through tears, and profound sorrow, she was a “Rock” loving and ministering to our family with grace and dignity. I still can see her standing in the door way of the mortuary when I went to view my Dads body.

How do I summarize what she means to me? In these 33 soon to be 34 years of marriage. If I tried, this blog would be discontinued for excessive length by “Blogspot”.

She is grace, she is love, she is kind, she is tender, she is thoughtful, she is warm, and she is gracious. She is a superb wife, in every way. She loves the Lord! She is a kindhearted and loving mother. 

Without her I don’t know where I would be. Everything I am, or will be has been directly impacted by this extraordinary woman. She will be forever be my “Once in a lifetime”, I adore her.


In this world that Matches and Dispatches relationships all too suddenly, I can say that, “Great Marriages are still made in heaven." If you have yet to discover you’re “Once in a Lifetime” don’t give up!

Writer Dinah Craik, expresses what I have in my wife Laura…
"Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with another person. Having neither to weigh thoughts, or measure words, but pouring them all right out, just as they are chaff and grain together- Certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keeping what is worth keeping and with a breath of kindness blow the rest away" 
I know that someday, we will for a time part. We both love the Carole King’s song “ Always and Forever” though it is written from the past tense, as you listen to it, smile for both of us, because today July 20, 2015, it is thankfully present tense, and I have lived it and am living it, with my "Once in a Lifetime."

Laura I love you, "Always and Forever"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home!

In Honor of Peter Marshall.

How are things at home?