When Life Cuts!


Anguish, fear, uncertainty robs of us of much needed vitality. We look out from eyes brimming with tears because of a recent life experience and the candle of faith begins to flicker, and deep down were convinced it might all together blow out. The dying light, leaving us to embrace further unwelcomed darkness. 

A wonderful Scottish preacher named Alexander McLaren once said:
   
“Despondency (Depression) has a knack of picking its facts”  

I think he meant that life often has so sharp of edges that we believe the cuts will never heal properly, if ever!

King David certainly felt that way, he rose to fame as a young giant killer, eventually becoming the King of Israel. His family life was horrific, he had a child out of wedlock, by doing so, he forced a trusted friend to the front lines of an epic battle to be killed, in the hopes of disguising his infidelity with that same trusted warriors wife!

In Psalm three he is enduring the immense pressure of his son’s betrayal. The Psalm is linked to 2 Samuel 15.

2 Samuel tells the sad story of Absalom who had avenged his sisters Tamar’s rape at the hands of her own half-brother.  David in choosing not to punish Amnon, (The one who raped Tamar) set in course actions that would lead to Absalom’s death. Absalom handsome and winsome had turned people’s hearts from David to himself, with the ultimate goal of becoming king.

Psalm three is a reminder when life experiences cut, that God alone is the balm (Comfort) for a troubled heart. 

O Lord, how many are my foes!
    Many are rising against me;
many are saying of my soul,
    there is no salvation for him in God. Selah

But you, O Lord, are a shield about me,
    my glory, and the lifter of my head.
I cried aloud to the Lord,
    and he answered me from his holy hill. Selah

I lay down and slept;
    I woke again, for the Lord sustained me.
I will not be afraid of many thousands of people
    who have set themselves against me all around.

Arise, O Lord!
    Save me, O my God!
For you strike all my enemies on the cheek;
    you break the teeth of the wicked.
Salvation belongs to the Lord;
    your blessing be on your people! (Psalm 3: 1-8). ESV


That word Salvation is an interesting word, it means to “Have breathing Room”. David lived, sadly Absalom died (Sin has its consequences) God provided David, breathing room and that’s what He will do for you, when life cuts!


Comments

  1. What a wonderful message. Served as a wonderful reminder that we need to seek and trust in the Lord. In times of plenty, in times of impoverishment, in times of joy, and in times of depression. By hope and faith in the Lord, miracles can happen. "Breathing room" is just one of the many blessing God can provide. We only need to seek him with all our heart and a willing mind. HEBREWS 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Home!

In Honor of Peter Marshall.

How are things at home?