The power of Choice



















He stood near the doorway of a convenience store in Salt Lake City, Utah, Easter Sunday night 2010. Wearing a flannel shirt, and a heavy coat, his attempt to keep a cool April evening at bay.

He seemed to have a faraway look in his eyes. He looked at me, and I him. I was pumping gas, and he was well...just standing close enough to the door not to be missed by customers, but far away enough to not be seen by the store clerk.

I knew why he was standing there, he was in need. In the spam of a few minutes, I witnessed people handing him money, encouraging him to have a cup of coffee. He never said a word. It was enough to simply stand there. His need was obvious. I was waiting for two of my sons to make their (Our) snack purchases.

I turned to my wife Laura, and said I am going to buy him something to eat...she heartily agreed. Two corndogs, and a water later, I was looking into his eyes, up close. His face was heavy with years, and wrinkles of a life lived on the edge.

As I handed him the food, I said ”This is from the Lord Jesus Christ, to remind you how much He loves you” He thanked me, but the faraway look never really left his eyes. I began to wonder about that shadowy figure standing near the doorway.

How did he get there? What life choices led to our brief meeting? Where was his family? As we drove away to go to our beautiful, and warm hotel room, these questions lingered. I told our sons that choices have consequences.

Somewhere someplace this man in the shadows had made decisions that resulted in his arriving at the front door of a Salt Lake City, convenience store.

I am fully aware that his background could have been harsh; perhaps he had no family support, and his dreams of accomplishment were met with howls of sarcastic laughter.


Or maybe he did have opportunities, and for whatever reason Easter Sunday’s location was a result of life’s hardships, or his own poor choices.

Remember to not choose, is to choose!

I don’t know! What I do know, is I left saddened, that in his life’s journey he had been on the receiving end of bitter disappointment.

Life at times is a struggle!

I do know that Jesus does indeed love him, and I wonder…just maybe if more of our Lord’s people had loved him in the early days of his life…would we have met in Salt Lake?

Jesus said the “The Poor you will always have with you” and so we do.

As we live out our lives, let’s make the best of choices, and for whatever reason, should we find ourselves standing in the shadows of a Salt Lake City convenience store…

I hope someone will remind us that the Lord Jesus does care!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home!

In Honor of Peter Marshall.

How are things at home?