Christmas Memories!



  “To perceive Christmas through its wrapping becomes more difficult with every year”  E. B. White (American writer 1899-1985).

Christmas memories we all have them. Time causes some to fade....yet others are just as vibrant as if they just had occurred.

For some memories of Christmas are stark, bleak....they are black and white, colorless.

For some, their Christmas memories are rich and full and take you back to a simpler time, when the World was not so rushed....when life was not given to endless reminders of what we need to buy to own to have...to somehow make the Christmas season more fulfilling.

 For me.

Warm and vibrant, Christmas memories stand in line waiting somewhat impatiently to make their way into conscious thought!

How well I remember the smell of a fresh cut Christmas tree, no artificial trees allowed in my earliest Christmas recollections.

I recall the tree standing less than straight....the need to crank frequently the base screws, less the tree fall.

Hmmm if a Christmas tree falls in your living room, when no one is home...does it make a sound?

Memories....of my dad supervising the decoration of said tree, making sure each tinsel strand was placed with care....no globing the tinsel in our home!

I remember milk and cookies being left out for Santa on Christmas eve...and the absolute joy and Childhood wonder in observing the milk glass half empty and the cookie half eaten early...on Christmas morning. I would then with great trepidation, place my own lips on the glass....and on the cookie...to have been that close to where the Jolly Elf has been a mere few hours before, that was for me then....better than having an Elvis scarf!

One Christmas I desperately wanted a Magic set. I needed it! On that particular Christmas morning it was not there! When surveying the tree, with teary eyes, I discovered something far better! A hand written note (thanks Mom) from Santa himself….informing me that my gift had been loaded, was in fact in transit….but sadly lost in a snow drift somewhere….in route!

Heartbroken though I was…..the note from “you know who” brought relief. I think if I still had that note it might fetch a pretty price on eBay!

My Christmas memories are of a loving and wonderful family who through the many shared Christmases, enjoyed every gift, each glass of eggnog….and every wrapped surprise.

When I became a man, God in his kindness,  gave me a beautiful woman (Laura) to share life with, and three sons that have become like her... precious gifts, and we now have our own rich and warm Christmas memories.

Most importantly I have learned along  the road of my life, to rejoice that God seeing our “Real need” sent His one and only son, as a gift that endures. In fact the gift of Jesus allows families to be forever families….is there anything more comforting than that?

To know that all the memories will not be lost, but continued….in a place where there are no more goodbyes.

A place where memories are no longer needed….because all will be new…and all will be well.

He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? (Romans 8:32). ESV

Indeed He has....indeed He will!

In honor of my sister (Shell) who will be experiencing her second Christmas in heaven (With Dad) and in anticipation of one day "Truly" being home for Christmas...listen to one of her favorite groups sing about heading home for Christmas.

Comments

  1. You put a whole new perspective on this song for me! Beautiful! -- Melissa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Home!

In Honor of Peter Marshall.

How are things at home?