The Road Unseen!



      Living in Wyoming, I have developed an entirely new appreciation for respecting road conditions…and for the many people who promise and do pray for you when you travel.   

Just this past Saturday Laura and I were driving back to Green River from an awesome trip to Ogden Utah. 

The roads were fine, but a 15 car pileup had left I 80 closed.  By the time we arrived to that closed section, it had gone from bad to worse…leaving many people stranded and scrambling for hotels in Evanston, Wyoming. Gassing up, I struck up a conversation with a man pumping diesel into his white pickup.  Remember, “White Pickup” it’s an important part of this story. 

He told me he was from Kemmerer, and knew how to get there another way.  I thought to myself, you can get to Green River via Kemmerer!  

He began to tell me the way to go…I lost Him after He said you go…down here, turn left….follow 89 toward Yellowstone, head to Randolph….you get the idea. I interrupted with this statement: “I don’t know how to get to Randolph’! He replied with two words that were like “Listening Gold” to this Wyoming Pastor…”Follow me”.

By the time I turned around to do just that there were two “White Pickups” leaving the Flying J gas station…one went right, the other went left and I went uh oh!  I asked Laura which one was which….she said …"It has to be the one going left, because that’s the right direction". Well alrighty then!

Off we went, and that guy in the White Pickup had no aversion to speed! Soon we were following that White Mirage…through the wintry, foggy, spooky landscape of Highway 89, for miles, forever!  We began to wonder about our guide, this was a possible Steven King Novel waiting to be written!

We crossed into Utah, we began to wonder, was that the right truck? Are we going to Yellowstone? Look at the deer! The Fog….the sign….at last Randolph!  This is where the Hallelujah chorus should play!

A few more miles, and more deer sightings later, we were turning right, and ultimately to the road that skirted the closed Highway, and brought us safely back to Green River! 

The man in the White Pickup…got out and said a hasty goodbye (Winter in Wyoming) is no place for prolonged farewells!  I told him the great scout Kit Carson, could not have done better! He disappeared into the long stretch to his home. Mission accomplished, and appreciated!

The road unseen by me, was known by my guide...and we were never in trouble!

Now warm, and safe in my Wyoming study…I am reminded that when we trust in the Lord with all of our heart, and lean not into our understanding, in all ways acknowledging Him (The Lord) He makes away for us!

After all the road might be unknown and unseen to us...but our guide knows the way!

Laura, reminded me just now, that we need to trust our guide, especially when were not sure of our own directions! Gods way is best! And He will make away for you!

But next time, I think….I will make sure my guide is driving a red truck!

The following song from Janet Paschal based on the people of Israel leaving Egypt crossing the red sea, reminds us that...God will make away!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In Honor of Peter Marshall.

Back to the Future!

Home!