On Getting Older

Don't let the excitement of youth cause you to forget your Creator. Honor him in your youth before you grow old and say, "Life is not pleasant anymore."  (Ecclesiastes 12:1).
   
Someone wisely said:

    
   “You know you are getting older, when the phone rings and you hope it is not for you”


I am getting older every day!  And so are you.  What are we becoming, where are we going? Life is more a destination than a road-map, by that I mean life is not always predictable. To be sure there are days that stretch into months where it seems like one day is a carbon copy of the previous one, with only slight alterations. 

Yet change is happening all around us, and within us

 *Our body renews itself and changes in many ways. The first way is with our blood plasma, the liquid portion of our blood. It renews itself every ten days. Our white blood cells renew themselves every two or three weeks. Then we have our red blood cells and they typically renew themselves every 120 days. Our entire blood renews itself every three to four months. Even our skin renews itself every 28 days. Finally, our entire body renews itself every seven to eight years depending on whether you are a man or woman (seven for women and eight for men). Women have the ability to renew their bodies more quickly than men do. *Secret of the Fountain of Youth by Denny Waxman
Hmmm so how come the new me, feels like the old me?


Oh well we should not regret getting older, it is as someone said a “Privilege denied to many”.


With the years that are remaining, I want to fill them with what really matters. The filling by the way does not include more stuff (With the exception of books) I have plenty of things…and while they have their place, they often in time… take their place in an overstocked garage! 

What matters most to me now as I peer into the future of my remaining years?

     1. I want to know Jesus more intimately.  I believe Evangelist Vance Havner had it right when  asked if God had favorites he replied… “No, but he has intimates”

 2. I want to value my family more than ever. I want them to have rich and vibrant memories of a fun Husband, and Dad…and Son, Brother, and Uncle.

 3. I want to be a better Pastor, more sensitive to the needs of Gods people; I want to be a better preacher, because I paid the price…better “Prayed” the price to seek Gods Word, and its vast wealth to relate to His people. 

   4. I want to finish strong, when my time comes to “depart this World to be with Christ, which is better by far” I want the memory of my life to linger only for a moment in the minds of those who will come to celebrate my home going- then I want the Life and Love of the Lord Jesus Christ to be what is on their lips…what fills their minds….as they make their way out into the day…to continue to live for Him, until we are at last reunited!


Don't let the excitement of youth cause you to forget your Creator. Honor him in your youth before you grow old and say, "Life is not pleasant anymore."  (Ecclesiastes 12:1).

Life is still quite pleasant to me…and the need to remember my creator more pressing than ever!


How about you?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Honor of Peter Marshall.

Home!

Back to the Future!