What Makes for a Super Sunday?



There is a game that’s about to be played in the valley of the sun. The attention of Americans, more than 100 million most likely, will be directed there. Two teams that overcame brutal schedules, and the media glare will at last play a game that determined who is the best in their respective field for this year, here in the United States.

I don’t understand why they call it the World Championship when most of the world plays soccer! Also as someone rightly observed “If the Super bowl is the ultimate game, then why do they play it every year”.

Now lest you think I don’t like football or will not watch, I will. I mean after all I have a football background too! I was a solid second string linebacker and guard for my high school team, that went to the state playoffs, “Go Wasson T-birds”, and there were not a few times that our starters got the score up so high, I actually played!

In seminary I was the quarterback for our intramural flag football team “Skandalon” a Greek name meaning the “Stumbling Blocks”. So as you can see I have the necessary, background to have an opinion.

What Makes for a Super Sunday?

For me it is standing before a congregation to bring Gods Word into their life situations. To have prayed, and prepared to have something authentic to speak into their lives, resting in the belief that God will communicate His love, His nearness, His guidance.  There is nothing like looking into the moist eyes of a person who thanks you for being faithful to preach God’s good news.

I love the honor of baptizing people of all ages who make a public declaration of their allegiance to the Lord, in water that symbolizes what Jesus has done for them, His death, burial and Resurrection!

I love singing corporate Worship songs that remind us of God’s love, and our being a forever family because of His great love!

What Makes for a Super Sunday? All of that and more! Oh I will watch the game Sunday, at least parts, and the commercials…but “after” Worshipping the Author and Finisher of my Faith!

In fact a better place to direct our focus our eyes this coming Lord’s Day, is found in the New Testament book of Hebrews….

Looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home!

In Honor of Peter Marshall.

How are things at home?