Attitude and Choices!

15You are aware that all who are in Asia turned away from me, among whom are Phygelus and Hermogenes. 16May the Lord grant mercy to the household of Onesiphorus, for he often refreshed me and was not ashamed of my chains, 17but when he arrived in Rome he searched for me earnestly and found me— 18may the Lord grant him to find mercy from the Lord on that Day!—and you well know all the service he rendered at Ephesus. (2 Timothy 1: 15-18). ESV

Attitude someone said determines altitude! I like that, and I believe it. There is just something about people who have an optimistic outlook.  We all have choices in how we will treat the people, God puts into our lives! And ultimately we decide the kind of people we will be…the level of our service to the Lord Jesus Christ and to those who follow Him, and those who don’t.


Paul reminds us, that in our lives as Christians,  we will meet two kinds of people.


People who will turn away from you:

       15You are aware that all who are in Asia turned away from me, among whom are Phygelus and Hermogenes.  

Paul vividly remembers many people who had deserted him. Called to spread the Gospel, Paul needed to find a nucleus of those who would love Jesus Christ supremely, and be useful in seeing others come to know the joy of the Lord!


He then lists two people specifically, who when things became difficult and he (Paul) needed friends, they simply walked away from him!


As a Pastor I have met people who had sorry attitudes. The glass wasn’t just half empty, they questioned the quality of the water, the appearance of the glass and how much you should drink and when!  Followed quickly by asking, ( If you dared to comment about their glass) and just who do you think you are to comment about my glass anyway? 

Those people make ministry misery! I have a name for them they are “grace builders” there negativity will drive your prayer life to new heights! They make frequent withdraws from your life!

There the kind of people that makes retirement seem so inviting! 

People who will turn toward you:

16May the Lord grant mercy to the household of Onesiphorus, for he often refreshed me and was not ashamed of my chains, 17but when he arrived in Rome he searched for me earnestly and found me—  

Thankfully, there are those who will  build your life.  They will make many heartfelt deposits in your life bank! You know the folks I am thinking about, I know you do…you have met them…the people who genuinely love you.  They know your far from perfect, and will in fact never arrive, on this earth anyway…but they believe in you!  

And they love the Lord and His Church, they don’t make excuses for why they don’t come anymore, they are decidedly people who genuinely love Jesus and His Church!

Simply put, Jesus died for the Church, and you cannot love The Lord Jesus Christ and not love something He died for!


They look at you with smiling eyes, and greet you with warm hellos. Those people make Ministry Magnificent! They will search for you, when you need help... they are there…the glass for them is always full, and they are the ones who will bring you water! 


So?  Are you turning towards, the Lord and His people or away?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home!

In Honor of Peter Marshall.

How are things at home?