A book on Spiritual Warfare, a Peach Snapple and a man named Wade!

       
       Sleep apnea is a sleep disorder characterized by abnormal pauses in breathing or instances of abnormally low breathing, during sleep. Each pause in breathing, called an apnea, can last from a few seconds to minutes, and may occur 5 to 30 times or more an hour.


    I have it! I believe I have it because I have become far too familiar with Baptist Potlucks over the last 25 years!  You may be surprised to know that 25% of those who have it are not overweight at all! I am, and I do:) 


I wear a mask attached to a Cpap machine (Continuous pulmonary air pressure) that forces air down my gullet to ward off apnea. It took awhile to get used to it, and now the thought of not having it, and not being able to breathe is, as you can imagine spooky!  This brings me to the subject of this week’s article. 


Arriving in Colorado Springs last week, for a family Thanksgiving feast, I discovered late the first night that while I had my Cpap machine I did not have the power cord! No cord no forced air, no air, no breathing No breathing... no Pastor Mark!


My discovery came late…like 12:15 Am late! I know what you’re thinking…yes I am a night owl! 


My mom had a cord that was close, but alas to big. Where do you find a cord at 12:30 in the morning? 

Wal-Mart! 

I hoped you could anyway. I was surprised by the many fellow night-owls that were there, no doubt stocking up on Pre-thanksgiving supplies. 


I searched and searched to no avail! I was close to throwing in the towel, and facing a night of no forced air, and then I met Wade! Wade was over in the auto motive section stocking shelves; he saw me and my pitiful downcast face and said six words that gave me hope

“Can I help you find something"?

I have never met someone so helpful, he searched, and searched, and scanned every section where that cord could possibly be. 


I thanked him profusely for going the extra mile, and walked away only to have him reappear 2 minutes later saying he found the cord…only it was attached to a $22.00 CD player. I asked him how did you find me, he said I watched the direction you were walking! How many Wal-Mart employees would do that? I thought about buying it then decided to trim my mom’s cord down to size.

I left Wal-Mart with a book about “Spiritual Warfare” and a peach flavored Snapple, (I had to make the trip worth it) and an appreciation for a man named Wade who went above and beyond to help a customer. 

While on my way out I stopped and told a supervisor that Wade was awesome, and don’t let him get away!


By the way I almost had my mom’s cord working then an electrical prong broke off. I had one rough night, but I am still here…and my son Ben found the power cord!

Funny how the need for a power cord, ended up being a strong reminder of the importance of service and how when you see it in action, it blesses you! 


Thanks Wade!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home!

In Honor of Peter Marshall.

How are things at home?