Life on the Edge!


     “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’  40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ ( Matthew 25: 37-40). 

        Imagine for a moment you are riding a bicycle with a cushion less seat and a bald front tire.  You’re riding through Wyoming in November.  Your heading for Phoenix, Phoenix is…13 hours 46 minutes, or 804.6 miles, from Green River, Wyoming. 

That’s 13 hours 46 minutes by car, not bicycle!

I know what you’re thinking, the song “By the time I get to Phoenix”, has new meaning  now…no your thinking, where did you get this scenario from Pastor Mark?
    
  Your wondering has the Pastor recently subscribed to

 “Foolish Bike, Outings of the West”? Or maybe,  “How to freeze in 13 hours or less”?

Nope, no subscriptions here…not thinking up a would be situation to keep you thankful, because it’s almost Thanksgiving…no, I am sharing this with you because it’s a true story, and a reminder that many people live life on the edge, and when they cross our life's door, we should help them, if we can.

The bicyclist Andrew a 45 year old full blooded Apache, who walked into my study yesterday out of breath, after riding the before mentioned bicycle up to HillTop to see if he might find a friendly face who would put him up in a hotel for the night.

He needed to  find a reprieve from the constant howling wind, of a cold Wyoming November late afternoon. 

We met, and he told me his story of riding from Jackson, to Pinedale, to Farson, to Rock Springs, to Green River, via the gravel back road because a bicycle is not allowed on I 80.  He told me you can spend the night at the Post office in Farson, because they don’t lock the lobby. He told me of standing on an on ramp for a long time, because no one would give him and his bicycle a much needed lift.  

I told Him of God, and His Son Jesus and the reminder that what some people call coincidence, is in actuality the Will of God. I shared my own journey to faith in Christ, and how the Lord had a plan for him too.  I gave him a Bible and a voucher for a nights stay at a local hotel. I prayed for him. He left.

I thought this morning on the way to Church, no way I will see Andrew again, who wants to ride uphill to HillTop ( There is a reason why our Church has that name) if you don’t have to! 

I was surprised this morning,  to hear familiar footsteps and a heavy breathing Andrew who came to say goodbye!

I gave him some chocolate, and a cup of coffee, and offered to give him a ride down the road.  He refused... he gave to me, the reminder that there are people all around who need to know not only that God loves them, but has a plan for them, the people who because of unfavorable life experiences are living hard lives.

People who just like us....need the Lord!


As you listen to this wonderful song, say a prayer for Andrew, and all the people, who are right now... living life on the edge.
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home!

In Honor of Peter Marshall.

How are things at home?