Bonanza, Gun smoke and a lady named Laverne!


        I am blessed to live in a relatively small town of around 12,000.  We have six traffic lights; one however is so long (our minister of youth calls it the light of eternity) that it makes up for others we don’t have. We are limited in restaurant choices, and other options found in larger towns. We have one post office and this time of year it’s a busy place. 

A few days ago I was standing in a slow moving line at the post office. My phone rang out loud clear and disruptive, breaking the relative silence of people waiting to take care of their postal needs.  


Being an ardent Bonanza fan (Television Western that ran from 1959-1972) my ring tone is the musical theme (Provided for your listening pleasure at the end of this blog) from that show. Before answering my phone, I decided to poll everyone in the post office…and asked (In a loud kind of preacher voice) name that tune!


It was a good question because almost everyone in that post office at that moment I surmised, based on my sudden observation, were from my generation, they appeared to be baby boomers, those born between 1946-1964. 

A man near the front of the line with gray in his hair said Bonanza! Right, I replied, I then followed up with some Bonanza trivia, about it airing on Sunday nights, and another post office customer told everyone that it was the first show shot in color, and then we talked about gun smoke and how it ran for 20 years and was on Monday nights. 

This impromptu trivia game, made the line move faster, and reminded me that we are all connected by events and television shows, memories and life… in more ways than we think…and sometimes we should break the silence, the monotony of everyday life and just have spontaneous fun!

As I made my way to the counter I overheard a tall man with a deep resonate voice ask for “Christmasie” looking stamps, then an older Lady named Laverne, walked in and I quickly learned that she was recovering from surgery and the postal clerk was genuinely interested in her health and hopeful recovery!

I observed, quaint, heartfelt authentic life, in a post office on an afternoon in Green River, Wyoming. 

Come to think of it, who needs more things to do and a few more traffic lights?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Honor of Peter Marshall.

Home!

Back to the Future!