Memorial Stone Five: A Texas Sized Education!


    By wisdom a house is built,
    and by understanding it is established;
     by knowledge the rooms are filled
    with all precious and pleasant riches. (Proverbs 24:3-4).

     I have always loved to read, I have also always enjoyed school.  Interestingly (Not to the people who read this, who know me) I was not the brightest bulb in my high school classes, especially in math, I was dim! I graduated from High School, but not with honors, in fact the only honor I received, was being voted “Most Gullible.”

The only reason I went to College was because I was 6 lbs overweight and unable to pass a physical and join the Air Force! I am sad now thinking I was once… only 6 lbs overweight :) In between losing the weight (Over a Weekend) one of my best friends talked me into going to College.  I got in on academic probation.  I took basic remedial classes, and my GPA came up to a respectable level.  

After that first year, I transferred to Hardin –Simmons University, the jewel of West Texas, in Abilene, and earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Religious Education in 1984. In those early Texas years with my beautiful supportive bride cheering me on, and typing all my papers, the Lord called me to preach!  This meant more school, so off to Fort Worth, Texas, and Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary we went, and after three challenging academic years, I had earned a Masters by the age of 26.  

Laura and I left Fort Worth, in the summer of 1986 with our brand new first born son Brian.  Several pastorates followed, and along the way the Lord put a burning desire in my heart to earn a Doctorate. My College and Masters Degree grades were only slightly above average. Average will not get you into a Doctoral program! 

What to do? At the time I was Pastoring near Topeka, Kansas…and that’s near Kansas City and Midwestern Seminary! I drove the 150 mile round trip and took 10 additional hours to boost my sagging GPA with the hope of getting into a Doctoral program somewhere.  I earned a 3.4 GPA in that Kansas City opportunity. 

God then called us to Colorado to Pastor, and at the annual convention,  there was a certain professor from Southwestern Seminary manning a booth that just happened to feature the schools Doctoral programs, and their newest, the Doctor of Educational Ministry Program.  I asked him about the chance that I could be accepted. He replied what was your GPA in your Masters work, I told him, and I then quickly said I have also taken 10 hours at Midwestern and earned a 3.4 GPA.  

He replied:  “You better try to get your Doctorate from Midwestern, because with your grades you will never get in to Southwestern.”  He said it with a back of the hand, dismissive; you haven’t got a prayer attitude! I was hurt, crushed really. 
Southwestern Seminary
I applied to Southwestern anyway…I got in!!  I never received less than an A on every assignment over the five years of that experience. And that “Certain Professor” was on the oral committee that grilled me at the end of the program…and in my office right now, is a framed copy of his letter of congratulations informing me that I had passed my orals, and was cleared for a December 2005 graduation!

I know what you’re thinking, no I never told him who I was, or how his words had hurt me so profoundly. It’s enough for me to know, that when someone tells you your dreams are out of reach, take it up with the Lord, and He will make away for you!

Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart. (Psalm 37:4). 

I have learned that our Lord makes dreams come true! If someone has told you to stop dreaming....don't! 

The following song by Janet Paschal, reminds us who holds our lives in His hands...enjoy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home!

In Honor of Peter Marshall.

How are things at home?