Memorial Stone Eight: Our Second Arrow!

       Some people make your life better by just being in it.  You know the kind of person I am describing. When they walk in a room, you just know that they bring with them love, not a little bit either....they are love walking into your life, and you smile!

Ever since November 29, 1988, our family has had a person who defines what it is to be generally interested in others, a person who I think sometimes, for what ever reason, does not know how much he adds to those around him.  Today I am writing for my wonderful son Ben...because in the 23 years, he has been  on the planet, my life and many many others has been enriched by knowing him!

In fact, my mom once said to me "Ben, is a hug waiting to happen!"

I defy anyone to truly know him, and not love him.  He is a big man, with a heart that is so gentle.  Being his dad is one of the great joys of my life!

Why?

Ben is kind!  I love that quality in people.  He really cares about others...maybe too much, because he tends to dismiss his own importance, perhaps that is because some people, if they knew just how much they really mean to us....would disbelieve that somehow.  They wrongly assume that we are just being nice, that they could not possibly really mean that much to us.

How wrong they are!

So they just love, and show kindness....and all those blessed enough to be in their life soak it up!

This blog is a reminder to him, and all those who build others up...that you are the wind that enables others to fly.  Make no mistake about it though, we want to be your wind to...whenever you have soaring in mind:)

Ben is selfless.  He is other minded, always wanting to know...to really know....how your doing.  This is never forced, never fake....just real honest concern.  All of us could use a big dose of that!  Ben displays that trait more than most people I have ever met!

Ben is fun!  He loves to laugh, and his laugh can and often does shake our house!  Not to long after his birth we noticed he was an easy baby to handle.  Traveling with him then, and now is a dream....just as long as you have snacks handy:) 

When Ben was small he would often misplace his shoes...usually when we were all in a hurry to get somewhere.  I asked him one day, "Ben why are you always losing your shoes?"  He replied,  "I don't know dad, I take them off at night and they hide!"

Ben is one who makes memories!   More than I could ever write, thankfully, I have a heart full of memories of this gentle soul....and much more memories to come, with this "Son of the right hand" ...which is what Benjamin means.  

In fact, while it is true I named him after Ben Cartwright, my favorite character on the television show Bonanza...Laura and I also selected his name because it is.....of Hebrew origin, and the meaning of Benjamin is "son of the right hand; son of the south; son of my old age."

The older I get the more sure I  am....that Ben will be there, solid, strong, kind, and selfless....who wouldn't want a son like that around....when old age arrives:) Here is a note from his Grandma Hensley written today: 
Hello there, Another great "blog"I couldn't have said it better!! I so remember seeing that little body on the scale at Memorial Hospital here in the Springs,just after Ben was born He was being weighed in his "birthday suit" we were so proud Aunt Shell was with me.My gentle Ben, such a precious person then and now! no one can give you that strong protective "hug" like Him.You are so loved Ben thanks for being you!! Love you Buddy May God always hold you in the Palm of His Hand-----G-ma

The following song by pianist George Winston is called  "Thanksgiving" and that's what everyone who ever meets Ben, will be doing, giving Thanks! Thank you Ben, for all you mean to me....Love always Dad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Honor of Peter Marshall.

Back to the Future!

Home!