Memorial Stone Six: Called to Preach!

View Baptist Church, View Texas

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. (Proverbs 3:5-6). NIV

     As children we are often asked what are you going to be when you grow up? That question certainly is fun to think about when you’re young and your life stretches out before you like a highway.  

Well meaning adults might ask it perhaps just to fill time, to keep a conversation going…but for children it’s a question that they think about.  As a child I often imagined what my life would be like. Even in junior High (Middle School) I once wrote about that very topic with such detail, that my teacher said “Mark, you are a deep thinker.”

When asked the question, I would reply with whatever occupation seemed most interesting. 

I had an Uncle say to me, you should be a Lawyer, because you ask so many questions!  I made  a bet with a fellow Middle student named David Proctor (Five Bucks) that I would grow up to be a professional football player.  

That’s a debt I still owe!

I once thought about being a brain surgeon.  Just try to get the image of me standing over your shaved head, with scalpel in hand, out of your head right now... I dare you!

I love music and can sing, and thought about pursuing  that, and have in a small degree, recording my one and only CD “ Encouragement”  several years ago.

I thought about business soon after beginning College. At the time I was a sophomore at Hardin- Simmons University in Abilene, Texas. 

In the midst of these early occupational dreams while attending the View Baptist Church in View, Texas…the Lord began speaking to Laura and me about the ministry. Tuition then was $100.00 a credit hour.  Ministerial students received a $20.00 hour discount. 

To qualify you had to be licensed to preach. In June of 1982 the View Baptist Church licensed me to preach after my maiden sermon based on 1 Corinthians 13, the love chapter!

That first sermon lasted all of 8 minutes and I was scared to death!  Knees were knocking and palms sweating…the knees and the palms belonged to Laura!

I (We) survived, and I will never forget the kind comments that those rural Texas people expressed to me.

I still wasn’t sure that the “Pulpit” ministry was for me but the Lord was. 

Opportunities came slow but steady, and my greatest concern after seeing it far too many times was “To take the greatest book in the world (The Bible) and bore people with it! 

I decided if the Lord called me to preach, I would strive to always do my best when speaking on His behalf to His people!

To speak week after week year to year to the Spiritual needs of His kids, has been the honor of a lifetime!

I have a long way to go to be all that the Lord wants me to be, but I have pledged to the people here in Wyoming, and really all the people I have ever preached in front of... two things:

 I will  love you!
 I will always be prepared when I preach!

R.G. Lee the famous Memphis Pastor of another era was once asked how a minister can be successful. He replied: 

“Preach Good, Pray A lot, Work hard.”

Thats my intent until my last earthly breath. 

This song expresses my gratitude for all that the Lord has done in my life!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home!

In Honor of Peter Marshall.

How are things at home?