Memorial Stone Seven: Our First Arrow!

 I met him for the first time on a blistering hot summer day, in August. I had looked forward to meeting him, for a lifetime.  In fact I suppose the thought of actually meeting him, knowing him...started as far back as the mid 1970's.

The anticipation was heightened by the passing of years. I often thought to myself just when will that day come?

There was a span of time when the reality of meeting him...seemed distant, and perhaps impossible. I allowed a thought to at times make it's way into my mind...maybe,  I would never  have the opportunity to actually look him in the eyes, to experience a long awaited...long prayed for encounter.

 But summer 1986 came, and with it...the beginning of a deep and abiding relationship!

That 5th day of August 1986, at the All Saint's Episcopal Hospital in Fort Worth, Texas I met him! 

I met, I held... my first born son, Brian for the first time! Laura and I had been married five years, when Brian arrived.

Words are simply a desperately inadequate vehicle, to carry to anyone reading this,  my feeling that day when my beautiful and loving wife delivered this boy.

He brought and continues to bring to our lives joy.

He is tall now, nearly 6’4, but his stature is more than height. He is a young man of integrity, he works hard, and he studies harder! He recently graduated from the University of Colorado at Denver...with a degree in Economics.

He will and has changed this world for the better...just as he has changed our families’ life with his passion, his dreams, his kindness and his love.

Brian surrounded by loving Grandmas, at his high school graduation.
There are so many things that I admire about him. The quality that shines brightest, is his deep love for his family. He often calls his grandmothers...and will talk for an hour...he  never misses an opportunity to be with them...to learn from them.

He was especially close to my dear sister Michelle, and called her every day when she was facing her own mortality, in a battle with a brain disease that took her from us, to heaven in September of 2009.

Laura and I are blessed with two other wonderful sons,  I will write about them and what they mean to me...and their mom..soon.

The psalmist describes the many benefits of having children:

 Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them. He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate. Psalm 127: 3-5
 I waited to meet him for the first time...for what seemed a long time...in the years that have been ours since that 5th day of August back in 1986.

 I have been rewarded a thousand times over!

It was worth the wait!

My Mom just sent her memories of Brian's  arrival:  

 Dear Mark @ Brian ,

Enjoyed your newest "blog" but just had to put my 2cents worth to also let you both know what meeting my very 1st grandson meant to me,I was at work when I got "the" call that I had a new addition to our family! what a thrill that was I'm sure they heard me scream at the top of my lungs how very exited I was!  My co-workers in my office at Memorial came running' to see what all the excitement was all about!!

 I feel a very special bond to one of the greatest young men I've ever know, who always is so kind,we have a great time cooking different things when he comes for a visit (He even cleans up the kitchen when we finish!!) can't beat that! Thank you Mark and Laura for bringing that very special bundle of joy into our lives.I know Grandma Roberts feels the same way.

Have a great week---

Love
mom/g'ma

Brian,

I love you, for always...forever!

Dad

This song reminds me of our first arrow....and my goal as his Dad....enjoy:) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Honor of Peter Marshall.

Back to the Future!

Home!