How to Behave in a Cave!



I cry aloud to the LORD;
I plead aloud to the LORD for mercy.
2 I pour out my complaint before Him;
I reveal my trouble to Him. 3 Although my spirit is weak within me,
You know my way. Along this path I travel
they have hidden a trap for me.

4 Look to the right and see: no one stands up for me; there is no refuge for me; no one cares about me. 5 I cry to You, LORD; I say, "You are my shelter, my
portion in the land of the living."

6 Listen to my cry, for I am very weak.
Rescue me from those who pursue me,
for they are too strong for me.

7 Free me from prison so that I can praise Your name. The righteous will gather around me because You deal generously with me.
(Psalm 142: 1-7). Holman Christian Standard Bible

David the boy wonder from the hills, has been anointed the heir apparent to the throne of Israel. Only problem was, the throne had yet to be vacated!

From the time David was anointed the "Next" King, until he became King, about ten years! A Decade of trying to elude, one angry Potentate... King Saul! When you read this Psalm...David is on the run!

A little backdrop is needed...

After killing Goliath of Gath, a man standing an imposing 9'9 inches tall( NBA Scouts would have been drooling) David, had entered into military service for Saul.

Davids battlefield exploits had been declared (Through song) all over...his victory over Goliath was a number one hit....and a jealous King, decided to put a " Hit" out on David! So David...is on the run! Wouldn't you be?

Often our first instinct when facing the " Giants" of life is to run. We are sure that space and distance will enable us to stay clear of the problem. We learn however that the problem is always waiting for us, and there is nothing left to do but face it, in the strength of God!

As someone well said "The Gorilla is going to get out of the cage anyway, might as well go unlock the door"!

Simply stated Problems faced can become Problems solved, but problems ignored lead to...a bigger problem!

In many Bibles the “title” that is given to this psalm is– “When he was in the cave.” I like that! I can identify with that. And you can to.

One devotional writer wrote:
It is one of the few psalms that give you a picture of where David physically is as this is written. We are privy to a most intimate prayer. David fled, he ran from Saul and he was fleeing for his life.

He had nothing - no provisions, he had no followers and he had nowhere to turn. He is in a desperate situation, isolated and lonely.
What can we do, when we are in a like condition?

How should we behave in a cave?

I. CRY aloud- Verse 1. I plead aloud to the LORD for mercy.

II. ADMIT your need Verses 2-4.
I pour out my complaint before
Him; I reveal my trouble to Him.

Although my spirit is weak within me,
You know my way.Along this path I travel
they have hidden a trap for me.

4 Look to the right and see:
no one stands up for me;
there is no refuge for me;
no one cares about me.

III. Be AWARE of God’s presence Verses 5-7.
5 I cry to You, LORD;
I say, "You are my shelter,
my portion in the land of the living."

6 Listen to my cry,
for I am very weak.
Rescue me from those who pursue me,
for they are too strong for me.

7 Free me from prison
so that I can praise Your name.
The righteous will gather around me

There has been; there is now or there will soon be a time in your life that you are in “a cave…locked in a prison." A lot of us have -“been there, done that and have the scars to prove it" J. Douglass Duty Jr.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home!

In Honor of Peter Marshall.

How are things at home?